Friday, October 19, 2012

Update

Let's rewind about 36 hours. I started having some contractions Wednesday night that felt like more than my typical braxton hicks. I kept an eye on the clock and they weren't incredibly regular or super painful, so I tried to go ahead and go to sleep. I was able to sleep but was woken up throughout the night with the contractions and still had some on Thursday morning. A wise friend suggested I call my doc (don't know why this didn't occur to me first!). I left a message with the nurse, she checked with the doc (not mine - my dr is out w/ back surgery) and he wanted me to go up to the assessment center. So off we went!!

I was lucky enough to share the triage room with a moaning woman while mustache the rent-a-cop berated Mitch about his cherry limeade. After these horrific moments, I was called back, checked in, and sent to a tiny, dark room. They hooked me up to a million machines to monitor my contractions and the babies. I was actually pretty miserable during this because the assessment center does not offer the most comfortable beds. Honestly, the nurses didn't seem to be the best either, so my monitors were often not working and had to be adjusted. Eventually the doctor came in, checked me, and decided to keep me overnight for observation since I was 2 cm dilated.

They wheeled me up to labor and delivery which was a much more amazing experience. I gladly climbed in the huge bed, ordered me some lunch, and watched a movie (well...started watching a movie). My contractions were showing up about every 2-4 minutes & were pretty uncomfortable, so they just kept watching me. Eventually, the doctor checked again and I had not dilated any further. He wanted me to take some pain meds to help with contractions and see if it would relax my uterus. Sure enough, the medicine did both. It also made me feel quite loopy & tired! I eventually went to sleep (after some ambien) and slept GREAT for a few hours - I'm certain I was snoring! They continued to check on my contractions, blood pressure, and the babies throughout the night, but I got a pretty decent night's sleep.

This morning the doctor came in, checked me again, and decided to send me home on bed rest. I am very thankful to be at home since there was talk of keeping me at the hospital for monitoring. I sure would have been missing my baby muffin if I had to spend days upon days in the hospital. So now we are in limbo! We just wait until these babies decide to make their arrival! I spoke with a NICU doctor this morning and he gave me some reassuring news about the babies. If born now, they'd likely have to stay in the NICU for a few days at least. If they make it to 35 weeks (next Thursday), then there's about a 50/50 chance that they could stay in the room with me. I'm going to keep them cooking as long as possible!

Just hanging out in the assessment center...

No comments:

Post a Comment