Thursday, October 25, 2012

Prized possession

You may think that I'm going to tell you about my prized possession, but I'm not. I wanted to share a moment I had today that just completely blew me away. I've mentioned earlier in the blog that I've been enjoying a Beth Moore bible study during my days of rest. The study is on the book of James which has always been a favorite of mine. I'm still fairly early in the study & was studying James 1 today. Here are two of the verses from today's lesson. See if they strike you at all like they did me.

Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession. James 1:17-18

If you've ever read James or gotten a birth announcement, then you probably recognize that first verse. My study today really focused on those first sentences - that everything good in our life comes from the Lord, not by chance. It also focused on the fact that the previous verses mention how our temptation leads to death, but these verses remind us that God gives us birth.

These are all great thoughts...but it's not what blew me away during this particular reading of the selection. Look again at that last sentence - And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession. So, James, you're telling me that I am the Lord's prized possession? The same God that created this earth & everything in it values ME over all of his creation?? That's pretty hefty! Honestly, I'm surprised Beth didn't spend more time on that amazing phrase.

Talk about some perspective, huh? When you're feeling down because you're exhausted, overwhelmed (teacher friends???), or hugely pregnant with twins, remember that the LORD has chosen YOU to be his prized possession. Wow, I hope those words make you feel as honored and humbled as I have felt today.

No comments:

Post a Comment