Monday, November 12, 2012

First few days at home

I'm hoping I can catch a few moments to describe our first few days at home! If I don't do it now, I'll forget...

Oh wait - a baby is crying...

Ok, I'm back :)

We are surviving pretty well in our first 48 hours or so at home! Maddex loves her baby brother and baby sister. She's very interested to see them in the morning and any time she comes home from an errand or church with daddy. She loves to give them kisses :) Yesterday she said "Baby Harper" and "Baby Major" for the first time, but hasn't said it much since.

Night one was pretty rough. The newborn phase with Maddex was fairly easy for me. I would feed her & sleep while Mitch took the "late" shift if she was fussy. Then we'd trade off and he'd sleep. I think I usually had the better shift  and she slept while I slept some more in between feedings. Well, two babies means no shifts! They're usually fussy at the same times night, so we each have a baby. The babies are great at sleeping together in the pack & play during the day, but we haven't quite gotten them to settle in at night. I think we may have gotten a few short stretches of sleep that first night. The best sleep was from about 6 - 7:30...the twins finally settled in as the sun came up!!!

Last night was better. I think I may have gotten one stretch of 2 & a half hours! I'm sure this is probably a miracle :) We are pretty much all sleeping in the living room right now. I'm not sure when one of us will get to make the transition to the bed!

Feeding is going pretty good. Both babies have gotten really good at nursing and I'm trying to do that exclusively, but don't mind supplementing with some formula. The babes seem hungrier at night & we are usually giving them a bit of formula after nursing at night to help get those bellies good and full. I think I'll just give a quick run down of facts and then include some pictures of our beautiful miracles :)

-Harper's jaundice levels are higher than Major's. They are not high enough to be treated yet, but we'll follow up with their pediatrician at their first appointment tomorrow afternoon.
-Both babies were 5 lbs 9 oz before we left the hospital.
-We had a great ride home and our back seat is very entertaining. The below picture shows how BIG Maddex is next to her baby siblings!
-We have had wonderful visitors including friends and family who have provided us with lunches and dinners since we've been home. It's been amazing because there's no way we would be cooking anything. We've been lucky to get a couple loads of laundry, one load of dishes, and our bodies cleaned since we've been home!!!
-I've been home with the twins by myself a few times and it's really not so bad. So far they are such good babies :) Mitch took Maddex to church twice yesterday and then ran some errands this afternoon. He'll be doing some work this week, so we'll be on our own to figure things out :)
-I got a 30 minute nap in earlier! So amazing - I can go all night now :)

I'll hopefully update again soon after we go see the pediatrician tomorrow. Until then, pictures of our baby boy and babiest (daddy's term) girl :)

Holding her baby


Major & Harper snuggling

Ready to go home! Geaux tigers!


Really ready to go home!!! My tiny babes!


Handsome boy

My beautiful girl!!

Major & Harper 


Headed home!

We looooove each other (Major/Harper)

Spooning (Major/Harper)

No comments:

Post a Comment