Monday, July 22, 2013

"grow up" and no sleep

Things have been a mess around the Crain household lately - literally. Maddex had her first little stomach bug a few nights ago and it was so awful! I keep saying it could have been worse, but in the moment it seemed as bad as it could be! Poor girl did NOT know what was happening! She first got sick in her high chair & I got her into the tub & she kept saying "I spit in Maddex's chair." It was so pitiful. I tried to explain to her that she threw up and it was okay and she couldn't help it. She then began to call it "grow up." We hoped that this was an isolated puke incident and we put her to bed. A little while later we heard her crying, turned on the monitor, and could see more "grow up" in her bed. So we ran in, grabbed her, and rushed to the bathroom. Big mess on the way, but thankfully it was all on the tile and nothing on carpet! She kept saying "I want to take another bath!" and "I grow up in Maddex's bed." We were able to get her & the house cleaned up and thankfully put her back to bed pretty easily. Then, more grow up in her bed. That was the last one, but she was not as willing to go back to sleep that time and ended up staying up in the living room with Mitch for a couple of hours.

The next day, she was back to herself, and we survived our first bug. She really handled it well and wasn't too pitiful. It just made me so sad to see her confused and out of control about what was happening. I will be glad if that never happens to us again - but I'm sure it will! I'm thankful that the bug seemed to be contained to her. Harper has been spitting up some lately, but nothing like throw up. I felt a little queasy for a couple of days but never go sick.

In baby news - we are not sleeping. I'm so frustrated with what is happening with their sleeping patterns. Major is up probably 4 times a night on average. Harper is usually up about twice, but sometimes more. She is also still in the habit of not going back to sleep for an hour and eventually screaming so that I get up with her again. They are not napping well either. I'm pretty sure they should be taking at least 3 hours worth of naps these days, but I'm lucky to get 1.5 hours total...and they are grumpy! We definitely have moments of sweetness and fun, but overall I'm dealing with some overtired babies with poor sleeping habits.

I'll be honest...up to this point, I've been letting them make the decisions about when and how long they are going to sleep, but that's about to change. I will NOT be able to survive going back to work in 2 weeks with 4-6 night wakings that sometimes involve me staying up for hours with the babies. I'm barely surviving now - I'm cranky and downright miserable 24/7. I'm hoping some of the approaches that I've decided to take with their sleeping will result in babies & a mama who are more well rested and happier. Pray for me and wish me luck :)

Now for a little cuteness update:

-Maddex has been super sweet and funny. She's really communicating well and soaking up so much. She loves singing, but hates when mommy sings. She's a great helper with the babies and has really begun to love playing with them. Aside from the occasional tantrum and potty training disasters, two is pretty fun :)
-Major still has one tooth and doing all his tricks. He loves to wave to Maddex & I swear he tells her "Hey!" His second tooth is due to break through any day now. He's also going to begin crawling so soon...he gets up on his hands and knees, rocks, gets into a plank position, and scoots backwards! Oh, and he's sitting up by himself! I found him this morning just a sitting in his pack & play!
-Harper is just a sweetie girl. She has one tooth also, and it's crooked! Harper waves sometimes and gives kisses. She really loves playing with her big sister; she giggles and giggles anytime Maddex plays with her. Harper is scooting backwards on her belly and just starting to get up on all fours, so it'll probably be a bit longer before she begins crawling.

That's all I've got for now. Please pray for my sleeping and sanity. I'm really ready for school to begin again. I think we will all benefit from a better schedule & routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment