Thursday, August 15, 2013

Workin' Mama

I started back to school this week, and I think I'm in for an exhausting year!!! I'm really excited about this school year. As tiring as this week has been, it has reinforced my calling to be a working mom. I'm not sure my brain can focus in paragraph format, so I'm going to resort to bullets for this post :)



  • The babies are doing phenomenally at Mrs. Vickie's. They've settled into a routine and are taking rock star naps. Fortunately for me, those weekly naps have translated into awesome naps at home on the weekend! This mama is super happy about that!
  • Maddex is also doing great at Mrs. Vickie's. She's happy to be back playing with her friends, especially the twins Maggie & Mitch. When I ask about her day, the first response is always "I played with Maggie & Mitch." She is also taking great naps, on a nap mat, in a room with Maggie & Mitch. Ah-ma-zing!
  • Picking up all three babies each afternoon is serious work! It takes several trips back and forth from the car to get them all in and out at home. The babies play really well when we get home which I'm thankful for. Maddex still seems to be getting used to this transition & is throwing fits a bit more often than normal. I'm hoping this week she'll become accustomed to our new routine.
  • Work is awesome. My students seem super sweet so far, and I'm really, really looking forward to teaching this year. It's the first year in 3 years that I won't spend part of it pregnant! I have fantastic teammates and love the other 7th grade ELA teachers; having great students & colleagues can really help with those tough teaching days!
  • I really feel like everything is falling into place in my universe now that I'm back at work. I love my babies so incredibly much, but I know that the Lord built me to be a teacher. I'm thankful for a job that allows me holidays and a summer with my children, but I'm very glad to be back at work!
  • There are a few things I'm still trying to adjust to with our new schedule...
    • Sleep: the first week of school, the babies were still not sleeping great. By Friday, I was really feeling worn down and starting to feel sick. I decided we'd try to let them cry or fuss again if they woke up. Friday night I put Major in the crib & Harper back in the pack in play in the closet. Y'all, the change of scenery made all the difference. They have only woken up once each night the last 2 nights and I really haven't had to let them cry! Major just loves the crib and Harpy must just love sleeping in our closet :)
    • Cooking: I've found it pretty difficult to come home and get dinner ready. I've been staying after school for a while trying to get the hang of things & we end up getting home between 4:30 & 5:00. The kids are great, but it's tough to make dinner and manage all of them. Before I know it, it's time for the babies to be fed, bathed, and put to bed. Since I've been away all day, I really want to spend as much evening time with the kids as I can. I'm trying to get a hold of cooking on the weekends & using the crock pot so that when we get home, I can play with my babies.
    • Cleaning: This house is a wreck! Well, not so much tonight, but it was by the end of the week! With both of us working so much and being pooped, not much cleaning was happening beyond dishes and a load of laundry or two! I've got to figure out some way to stay on top of even just the basic cleaning during the week. It's so tough because once the kids are in bed, I'm so worn out (I know many of you have been there!) and crash! My mom came over yesterday and helped me clean during nap time...that was a HUGE help! But, I don't want to spend my whole weekend cleaning! This weekend I've spent any nap times or when they were playing happily working on cleaning or cooking for the week. I'm headed into the workweek already feeling tired! 
I'm hoping that much of my exhaustion and craziness is due to a new routine plus the start of the school year. I really think that in a couple of weeks school will settle down and we will all be able to find a routine that balances work and home.

The babies turned nine months this week & Maddex is exactly two and a half! I'll have an update about that later this week, hopefully. I'm going to end this post with some ubercuteness involved my favorite twins and some of their tricks. If the videos work, check out Major's dancing skills & Harper's talking.







No comments:

Post a Comment